Monday 10 September 2012

Thoughts from a pen novice...


Until very recently I knew pretty much squat about pens, of any sort, and certainly had no idea of the scale of which people enthuse about the next hotly anticipated 'release'. For some its very much like what it was like when you actually had to go to a record shop in order to get the latest offering from your favourite band.

In my short time in this relatively unknown world has definitely been an eye-opener, I really had know idea people had the inclination to spend thousands of pounds on a writing instrument. Like many, I covet the stolen pen from the bank extensively, well, until it explodes in my pocket creating turning coins, train tickets or anything else it finds into one of the blue man group…

We are of course, I suppose really talking about fountain pens, rather than 'pens' in general. 

I must be honest, I'm a fairly lethargic individual when it comes to most things, and I wouldn't say I've exactly been bitten by the pen bug, well - not yet anyway. I have however I think learnt to appreciate the stylographic corner of the world, so perhaps one day I'll move up a level from that.

Slowly though I am finding that I look at a certain pen and think, hmm wouldn't mind using that day to day. The worry that I'd lose it or sit on it, is always a high possibility. I think that the last time I actually used a fountain pen was in primary school, no idea what it was, I do also have some kind of Parker fountain pen at home, only used it a couple of times - perhaps I should crack it out and carry it around. Not sure it could cope with the inside of my pockets however, they're like an particularly unorganised filing cabinet, in which only one person knows it exact contents and where to find it…


But then I think, even if I did carry a pen around with me, would it get used much, I pretty sure I've gone through large periods of time over the last few years, not writing down anything using a pen for weeks or months at a time, I only wrote something down again just to make sure I hadn't forgotten how to do it. 

What pens have I looked at and thought this I hear you ask?
I must admit the Pilot Capless has caught my eye, until recently I had no idea you could even do that with a fountain pen, and it must be said that they look pretty darn cool.

So I ask of you, can anyone convince me of my pen wavering ways? 

No comments:

Post a Comment